In completing application forms, use the following definitions as guidelines. Not all terms appear on all application forms.
- TIN Number Taxpayer Identification Number. Formerly the Federal Employee Identification (FEI) Number for applicant organizations (tax exempt number).
- County County of applicant.
- Contact Person Person to contact for additional information.
- Project Title A title to be used for project publicity.
- Grant Application Codes Federal coding system found in Grant Application Codes section.
- Project Period Indicate period during which funds will be expended or obligated within fiscal year starting July 1 and ending June 30.
- Dates of Events Confirmed dates of specified arts events.
- Number of Individuals to Benefit The total number of artists participating, children and youth benefiting and other direct project beneficiaries and participants (including audience members).
- Number of Children and Youth to Benefit The total number of children and youth (including students, participants, and audience members) benefiting directly from the funded project. This figure should reflect a portion of the total number reported in the individuals benefiting field.
- Number of Artists Participating The total number of artists directly involved in providing art or artistic services specifically identified with the project.
- Application Summary A brief summary of project or program must be entered in the space provided on the application form.
- Authorizing Official Person with authority to legally obligate Applicant.
- Personnel - Administrative - Employee salaries, wages. and benefits for executive and administrative staff, business managers, fundraisers, clerical, and supportive personnel such as maintenance and box office personnel.
- Personnel - Artistic - Employee salaries, wages and benefits for artists, instructors, artistic directors, etc. specifically identified with this project.
- Personnel - Outside Artistic Fees and Services - Payments for services by artists not normally considered employees of applicant.
- Personnel - Other Outside Fees and Services - Payments to firms or persons for non-artistic services such as legal, financial, etc.
B. Space Rental - Payments specifically identified with the project for rental of office, theater, gallery and other such spaces.
C. Travel - All costs for travel specifically identified with the project at state government rates. Rates at the time of printing: 42 cents per mile; lodging up to $55 plus tax, and meals at $32 per day in-state. Out-of-state rates: lodging up to $175 plus tax, and meals at $45 per day. Touring Artists include shipping costs with travel.
D. Marketing - All costs for marketing/publicity/promotion specifically identified with the project. Include costs of newspaper, radio, TV advertising, printing and mailing of brochures, flyers, etc., for promotion and fundraising.
E. Remaining Operating Expenses - All expenses identified with project and not entered in other categories. Include utilities, insurance, office expenses such as phone, printing, postage; program expenses such as scripts/scores, sets, royalties, equipment rental, shipping and hauling expenses not entered under “Travel,” art and workshop supplies; fundraising expenses. Do not include capital expenditures as defined below.
F. Total Cash Expenses - Total of A through E.
G. In-kind Contributions - The fair market value of non-cash contributions to the project which are provided by the applicant, volunteers or outside parties at no cash cost to applicant. A dollar value should be assigned to in-kind items such as personnel, space rental, travel, marketing and operating expenses directly benefiting and specifically identifiable to the grant project. Volunteer hours may be figured at no less than minimum wage. Professional volunteer hours may be figured as appropriate.
H. Total Expenses - Total of Cash Expenses (F above) and In-kind Contributions (G above).
NOTE: Capital Expenditures - Expenses for additions to a collection, such as works of art, artifacts, historic documents, etc., the purchase of which is specifically identified with the project or organization, or other expenses for purchase of buildings or real estate, renovations or improvements involving structural change, payments for roads, drives, parking lots, permanent and generally immobile equipment such as grid systems or central air conditioning, etc., which are specifically identified with the project or organization.
I. Admissions - Revenue derived from sale of admissions, tickets, subscriptions, memberships, etc., for events of project.
J. Contracted Services - Revenue derived from fees earned through sale of services, i.e., sale of workshops to other community organizations.
K. Other - Revenue derived from sources other than those listed above. Include catalog sales, advertising space in programs, gift shop income, concessions and parking.
L. Cash Support - Cash support by businesses, corporations, foundations, individuals, fundraisers and similar sources.
M. Government Support - Cash support derived from government grants or appropriations given for the project. Do include other South Dakota Arts Council grants such as Artists In Schools & Communities, Technical Assistance, Professional Development, and Excursion grants. Arts Challenge Grant applicants will include all South Dakota Arts Council grants including their previous year Arts Challenge Grant.
N. Applicant Cash - Funds from applicant’s present and/or anticipated resources budgeted for this project.
O. Total Applicant Cash Income - Total of amounts on Lines I through N.
P. Grant Amount Requested - Amount requested from South Dakota Arts Council in support of this project, no more than 50% of Total Cash Expenses (F under Expenses).
Q. Total Cash Income - Total of Applicant Cash (Line O) and Grant Amount Requested from South Dakota Arts Council (Line P).
R. Total In-kind Contributions - Same amount as Line G under Expenses.
S. Total All Income - Total Cash Income (Line Q) and Total In-kind Contributions (Line R) and should equal Line H above. NOTE: Do not include income intended for Capital Expenditures.